PHASE 1: Essentials of Acupuncture
April 20 to September 16, 2021
- Basics of Acupuncture: Anatomy and physiology of acupuncture points, the basics of
running an acupuncture practice, and useful information for patients.
- Acupuncture Theories: Knowledge of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the very
foundation of successful practice of acupuncture, encompasses many seemingly abstruse
concepts such as Yin and Yang, Qi, Five Elements, Meridians, Convergence Points, Remote
Actions of Acupuncture Points, Tonification vs. Sedation, Eight Categories, Six Excesses,
Organ Phenomena, etc. These concepts will be presented in easy-to-understand modern
- Acupuncture Diagnostics: Instruction on diagnostic methodology in accordance with TCM
principles to enhance successful therapeutic outcomes, such as pulse diagnosis, tongue
diagnosis, diagnosis by palpation, diagnosis by patient history and observation.
- Demonstration of Acupuncture Techniques on Actual Patients.
PHASE 2: Practical Clinical and Hands-On Training
September 17 to September 26, 2021 (10 days)
- Acupuncture Techniques: Painful and non-painful medical conditions may vary in
their responses to different acupuncture modalities, hence a range of important techniques:
traditional body acupuncture, ear acupuncture, scalp acupuncture, needleless techniques such as
moxibustion, cupping and electrical stimulation will be taught and demonstrated in this face-to-
face training session. Participants will also have the opportunity to practice various modalities
under the supervision of a faculty of experts.
- Therapeutic approach: Instruction in both the formula approach, based on empirical
efficacy, and the analytical approach, based on theoretical reasoning, and their application to a
spectrum of common medical conditions will enable participants to more effectively apply their clinical
- Practical experience: Face-to-face clinical instruction sessions, with ample opportunities
for hands-on training in acupuncture point locating, needling techniques for body and ear
acupuncture, pulse and tongue diagnoses, among other training exercises.
PHASE 3: Enhancement of Clinical Experience
September 27 to January 31, 2022
- Research: Presentation on historically important clinical and basic scientific research on
- Additional Acupuncture Modalities: Instruction in trigger point and acupuncture point injection
techniques, using local anesthetics, normal saline, and ultra-low-dose steroids.
- Clinical Cases Presentation: In-depth discussion on actual clinical cases to illustrate the
principles of diagnosis and formulation of treatment protocols.
- Clinical runs consisting of detailed analysis of diagnostic findings and therapeutic
interventions relating to actual patients.
- Contemporary Explanation of TCM Syndromes: Lectures on the common pathways of
the symptom complexes of diverse medical conditions and how such concepts can be used to
simplify and facilitate therapeutic approaches.